Thursday, October 27, 2005

growing debate

I have been in a growing debate with several people over worship. There is a movement that harks back to the middle ages and desires all worship to be formulated with classical music. My understanding of the issue is that the Bible does not address the issue of musical styles. So these proponents bring forth many philosophical writers and present their case that the culture of the European middle ages was a Christian Culture and so the music produced in that period represents the only music that is pleasing to God.

My problem is that this assumes that middle ages European culture represents what God desires. I don't agree with that. The culture of that day was run by the Roman Catholic Church, a corrupt and devilish organization.

4 Comments:

Blogger Matt & Nicki said...

I find this also true. I've heard of this appreciation of Classical music as superior because it has been transcendent. I have come to appreciate classical music, but I also do not see any reference in Scripture to what type of music is best. I enjoy reading your blog and am still learning much on the fundamentilist movement. Keep up the good work.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Bob M said...

Neo,
Of course, you know I read the book. It is s good book, but I don't think that the result is where the good doctor has taken it. I don't have a good alternative fully worked out, you see, I am still a lowly seminary STUDENT.

The question I have is, "Who, in the final analysis, decides what music is transcendant?" Of course, it is "the experts," but who gets to decide which experts? Neo, I truly believe that the track being taken by my elitist friends is not in the vein of the Great Commission.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Bob M said...

Matthew,
Thank you for your kind words. I hope in the future to go far beyond my initial comments. I will say that I am serious about worship. We are far too trivial and banal and silly in our worship For example, we sing a song about eternity, someone prays from their heart for God to meet with us then the preacher tells a joke, or we sing a content-less song. One of the above happened in my small experience this week, and I was not the preacher.

I think that music is a life and death matter, but have great differences with those who say that the only transscendant music is Classical.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Bob M said...

So why is it that the Bauderites try and present a world where only Middle Ages European Music is seen as godly?

2:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home